Tuesday 15 November 2016

... While you're busy making other plans

"Life is what happen to you, while you're busy making other plans."

I'm not a great John Lennon fan, and this strikes me as a very true statement. Just like the old saw of ministry - "Ministry takes place in the interruptions."

Needless to say, I haven't blogged in a while. For reasons unknown and unforseen, things have become busy for me. I've had time -at times- but I haven't taken what time there was for writing a blog.

So now up and at 'em!

A few weeks ago, Martin and I played a game using Warlord Games' Pike & Shotte rules. We're the only two in the Games Group that have armies for that period and we hack at each other every so often. So Martin's French fought my Swedes. He was aided by Rich and Derek while Bear and Matt were my assistant generals

Martin has "director-itis" and has taken to videoing things. So here's the intro to the game:


I always enjoy these games... and there's an outside chance I'll win one someday.

One of Martin's French infantry brigades with regimental guns

My Swedish/German brigade.
The red beads indicate casualties.

Bear's cavalry wing, including the Finnish Hackapells.
You also have a good view of my Swedish Yellow Regiment.

Selfish self-promotion: My Irish made an appearance after many years in a box - 4 units of Galloglaich and 2 of Bonnachts, who were Spanish sword-and-buckler men in another life. It appears that Gustavus Adolphus had hired some Galloglaich for his campaigns in the Baltic countries. I don't know how true that is, but it allows me a foot in the door.

Almost at push of pike

Still closer.
As things ended up, Matt's cavalry wing was crushed. Bear's wing was intact but having trouble getting untracked. The Swedish infantry centre brigades has either fallen back or were in difficulty. Here's the latest from the Martin News Network:



There's more to come, so watch for my next entry.




2 comments:

  1. You may be more right than you know. I saw a cartoon from the period which showed a group of mercenaries, there was a fierce looking Finn with a bow and arrows, some pikemen, cossacks and lastly an Irishman wearing a cloak and carrying a large sword.

    The bit that made it for me was the fact that the Irishman was eating his field sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that print as well. The Finns, Irish, and Livonian were seen as real barbarians. Well, under those conditions, I'd eat my field sign, too!

      Delete